The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

Summer is a popular time for families and friends to plan camping trips to enjoy some time off from school and the warmer weather, but the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns of carbon monoxide poisoning (CO).

During the years 2002 to 2006, the agency estimates that 25 people died from CO poisoning linked to camping equipment including grills, lanterns and stoves. Below are some tips to help ensure the safety of your friends and family during your next camping trip!

Portable lanterns and/or heaters should be kept enclosed in sleeping areas such as vehicles, campers and tents. This is especially dangerous in areas of high altitudes as the risk of CO poisoning is increased.

Knowing the symptoms of CO poisoning is important so that you can identify them. The symptoms include dizziness, confusion, nausea, weakness and sleepiness. CO reduces the blood’s ability to carry oxygen therefore low oxygen levels can result in the loss of consciousness and in some cases it can be fatal.

If, while camping, anyone starts displaying flu-like symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.

The use of alcohol and drugs may compromise the ability to detect symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Although elderly people, infants and people with certain health conditions are particularly at risk, it affects otherwise healthy people as well.

Kampgrounds of America has a helpful article about CO Awareness and RVs on their site for further reference.

Comments are closed.

Of Interest