We are moving into the cold wintery months which brings with it snow storms and blizzards. And that weather in turn means many power outages which often lead to the use of portable generators.
Proper use of a portable generator is essential. One of the commonly known risks associated with use is carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO poisoning is the leading cause of accidental poisoning death in the United States – each year, it kills than 400 people.
Follow all manufacturers’ instructions.
A generator should never be used in the home. Blankets, drapes and rugs are highly flammable and should not be near the generator.
Before fueling the generator, turn it off and let it cool. Never store the fuel inside the home.
The generator should be kept dry and should only be operated in an open area.
Get to fresh air right away if you start to feel dizzy or weak.
CO alarms are an important safety measure that can help detect carbon monoxide which is odorless.
Read more safety tips by visiting the U.S. Fire Administration Web site.