The family of a local firefighter, wants questions answered about the medical care he received or lack there of, at a well known hospital in Manhattan.
The thirty-nine year old firefighter from yonkers, was hurt last week in a skiing accident. His family says, a piece of metal, surgically implanted into his neck, killed him while he was being treated at Mt. Sinai, and they want to know why and how it happened.
The autopsy report shows that he died of bleeding in his throat after spinal surgery. What remains unanswered is whether the hospital in Denver implanted the wrong size screw or whether a hospital in the city could have saved his life.
It was just last week Kevin was smiling in Vail, Colorado. But barely an hour after a photo was taken, Deane would fall and break his neck skiing. He underwent eight hours of surgery at a Denver hospital to fuse his spine. The family says surgeons implanted a screw, the wrong size, that cut into his esophagus.
“It caused an ulcer, which caused the bleeding and he choked on his own blood,” said his brother.
He died at Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan. The 39-year old had actually begun to improve after the surgery and the family paid $17,000 dollars to fly him to New York to begin rehabilitation.
Not long after arriving, he complained of extreme throat pain and could not swallow. The family says Mount Sinai was understaffed and inattentive.
Mt. Sinai, citing confidentiality laws, had no comment other then to express sympathy to the family. The family says they are keeping their legal options open at this time and are yet to file a medical malpractice lawsuit.