04242017Headline:

New York City, New York

HomeNew YorkNew York City

Email The Legal Examiner
The Legal Examiner
The Legal Examiner
Contributor •

Recall expands to 12 brands of dry cat and dog food after at least 14 people sickened by Salmonella

49 comments

Officials have linked an outbreak of Salmonella infections to recalled pet food manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced that fourteen people have developed infections with the rare strain Salmonella Infantis and the agency has linked some of those infections to Salmonella contamination of multiple brands of dog food produced at Diamond Pet Food’s plant in Gaston, SC.

The CDC has received reports of illnesses in nine states: Alabama, Connecticut, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia. Illnesses occurred between October 8, 2011 and April 22, 2012. Among the nine patients for which data was available, five required hospitalization for treatment of the infection.

Consumers can contract Salmonella by failing to wash hands after handling contaminated pet food or by touching a pet that has eaten contaminated pet food, even if the pet does not appear ill. They should be alert for symptoms such as diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps and seek medical attention immediately if they develop symptoms because the infection can spread from the intestines into the bloodstream.

There was no report of how many pets may have become ill from the contaminated pet food. Symptoms of Salmonella infection in pets include decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain, which can worsen to include diarrhea, bloody diarrhea and vomiting if left untreated. Pet owners should contact their veterinarian if their pet has eaten any of the recalled food and exhibit any of those symptoms.

Diamond recalled three brands of its dog food since early April after bags sampled tested positive for Salmonella.

On April 6, Diamond recalled certain lots of Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice dry dog food.

On April 26, the company recalled certain lots of Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula dry dog food.

On April 30, certain lots of Diamond Puppy Formula were recalled.

Yesterday, Diamond expanded its voluntary recall to include all dry cat and dog food in the following brands with certain production date codes. Consumers can determine if their dry cat or dog food is affected by the recall by locating the production code on the exterior of the bag.

Only production codes with that have a number “2” or a “3” in the 9th or 10th digit AND an “X” in the 11th digit are recalled. The best-before dates for these recalled brands are December 9, 2012 through April 7, 2013.

• Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
  • Country Value
  • Diamond
  • Diamond Naturals
  • Premium Edge
  • Professional
  • 4Health
  • Taste of the Wild

Also recalled are the following Kirkland Signature dog and cat foods with production codes that contain both a number “3” in the 10th digit and an “X” in the 11th digit. The best-before dates for these recalled brands listed are December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013.

• Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Lamb, Rice & Vegetable Formula
  • Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Formula
  • Kirkland Signature Super Premium Mature Dog Chicken, Rice & Egg Formula
  • Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Dog Formulated with Chicken & Vegetables
  • Kirkland Signature Super Premium Maintenance Cat Chicken & Rice Formula
  • Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Cat Formula
  • Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Formula for Dogs

Canidae Corp. is also recalling four Canidae dog food varieties produced at Diamond’s Gaston, SC facility with production codes that have BOTH a number “3” in the 9th position AND an “X” in the 10th or 11th position with best before dates of December 9, 2012, through January 31, 2013:

• CANIDAE Dog Dry Dog Food, All Life Stages
  • CANIDAE Dog Dry Dog Food, Chicken Meal & Rice
  • CANIDAE Dog Dry Dog Food, Lamb Meal & Rice
  • CANIDAE Dog Dry Dog Food, CANIDAE Platinum

While not listed in Diamond’s voluntary recall, the following brand pet foods are listed on the Refund Request form:

• Apex
  • Solid Gold

Diamond distributed these pet foods to Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Canada. However, the company says distributors and retailers may have distributed the products further to other states.

The company has posted instructions for consumers to obtain a refund or coupon for a replacement bag of cat or dog food here.

When buying a new bag of dog or cat food in any of the above brands, consumers should verify the production code is not the recalled production code. Some of the recalled dog and cat food remained on retailer shelves today.

Diamond halted production at its Gaston, SC plant on April 8 due to the Salmonella contamination, but the company says the plant has resumed production.

IMPORTANT UPDATES:

Diamond Pet Foods has updated the production code information for the cat and dog food brands recalled. Please visit http://diamondpetrecall.com/ for information on your specific brand. Consumers can call Diamond toll free 866-918-8756 Monday – Sunday: 8 am – 6 pm EST

WellPet recalls Wellness brand dog food made at Diamond's SC facility. For more information see the http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm303039.htm?source=govdelivery

Natural Balance recalls pet foods manufactured at Diamond's SC facility. See the Natural Balance site: http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/home/NB_productFAQ.html

49 Comments

1. up arrow

Great post. Thanks for the information.

2. sheila johnson says:

Production code:OCR0201 A21MS1736 KWG Best before 02FEB2013
    Is this bag affected by the product recall?
    I do have a 2 for the 9th number.

3. frank says:
    up arrow

see this is what happens when we have things made in a communist country that has been trying to kill everyone off with their cheap yet deadly products

4. Tracey Jackson says:

Sheila,
    I am wondering the same. m production code is –
    KCR0204 A12MN1455 MJB
    BEST BEFORE 25 FEB. 2013

5. Laura says:
    up arrow

Sigh, Kirkland cat food? Sheesh, I bought last month and half, is it safe? I threw the bags away. Now I need to get another cat food. I’m very disappointed!!!

6. cathy says:
    up arrow

Gee Frank really don’t like MY country being called communist! I am talking about the UNITED STATES!

7. Paul Napoli says:
    up arrow

Diamond Pet Foods has issued CORRECTED production codes for all the recalled pet food brands at diamondpetrecall.com Worried consumers can also call Diamond at 866-918-8756 Monday – Sunday: 8 am – 6 pm EST for assistance

8. Karen says:
    up arrow

China can’t be trusted. They eat cats and dogs so why would they give a S#@*

9. Simone says:
    up arrow

Kirkland products are available in the UK, have any of the affected batches been shipped to Costcos over here does anyone know?

10. Becky says:
    up arrow

what about the Wellness Large Breed Puppy that has been recalled because it was made in the Diamond Plant? It is not on this list

11. susan mathes says:
    up arrow

why do stores leave bad cat food on the shelves. i am feeding taste of the wild to 31 of our cats. both bags i just bought are dated january 2013. what am i supposed to do? as i don’t have any money to replace them. and i sure don’t have money to take all my cats to the vet because of some bad cat food. something needs to be done about this problem. sue mathes

12. Ann says:
    up arrow

I read a post elsewhere by a Costco employee that Kirkland is just Costco’s packaging and that the catfood is, in fact, Friskies catfood. In that case, is Friskies affected, as well?

13. S. Leah Highgate says:
    up arrow

This is like accepting a restaurant’s coupon for a free meal after you were food poisoned on your last visit.

14. Jay says:
    up arrow

hello people, read the article before you go on your anti communist rants, it clearly says the plant is in south Carolina

15. Ed Zebrowski says:
    up arrow

The US is in the process of being converted to communism thanks to Obama.

16. reena says:
    up arrow

we put our dog’s food in plastic bins when we get it home and don’t save the bags, so how are we to know if its on the recall list. we do buy the canidae brand. lamb and rice. does everybody save the bags but us.

17. Heather says:
    up arrow

So I just called the recall line and explained I didn’t save the bag with the UPC code and asked if I they can track if the store I bought it at has sold bags of the recalled food and was told no. The rep was less than interested to help me or tell me what I should do. I hope the call was “being moitored for quality control” because it was poor quality! They should be helping me as much as they can and apologizing for potentially poisoning my dogs!

18. Heather says:

Reena,
    I bought my food at Pet Supermarket and they said even if I don’t have the bag bring the remaining food in a garbage bag and they will refund my money. They have pulled all the bags from the shelves.

19. Michelle says:
    up arrow

Geesh folks…throw the stuff out. Who cares if it is infected or not. Just throw it out and buy something new. If what? 30 bucks. Versus vet bills or even the death of your dog. THROW IT OUT! And to the cat lady with 31 cats..if you can’t afford to buy food maybe you should rethink the whole 31 cat thing.

20. zozie says:
    up arrow

Nice attitude Michelle 9:55 AM. Try $50. Not everyone has $50 to throw away and then come up with another $50 to repurchase food. Why should they get paid to produce defective product? Problem is more far reaching than what you appear to comprehend in your limited capacity.

21. Susa says:
    up arrow

Why are people and not dogs getting sick?

22. Susa says:
    up arrow

Why are people and not dogs getting sick?

23. Tsigili says:
    up arrow

Ed Zebrowski – we are are seriously concerned about our CATS here.

Many of us care for multiple cats, and have financial issues at stake here, as well as the health of our cats.

This is not the time or place for your unrelated rant against President Obama.

Please stay on topic with the cats and recalled food issue or go play somewhere else.

24. Ed Zebrowski says:
    up arrow

Tsigili – I’m not here for fun. I have a dog else I would not be here. But it does not appear the bag of dry food we purchased last is affected.

And I didn’t start it, I simply contributed. And another thing… I don’t have to answer to you. Go vote for Obama again.

25. Tsigili says:
    up arrow

Michelle wrote “if you can’t afford to buy food maybe you should rethink the whole 31 cat thing.”

Sweetie, you need some sensitivity training.

Do you ACTUALLY believe that any of us go out and obtain that many cats ON PURPOSE? Are you nuts? I never wanted a boatload of cats. I got them because my neighborhood has changed, not for the better, and my lovely neighbors consider animals as property. When they move away, they simply dump their pets like garbage. They have been tossing their unwanted cats and kittens in my backyard, without my permission, of course, for years. (Another neighbor gets stuck with all the abandoned dogs.) I’ve tried to speak to them about this, but they claim not to speak English. I’ve watched them toss kittens out the window of a moving truck – into my yard. Prior to that, they used kittens as bait in their dogfighting activities, until I got that shut down.

Since you can’t know someone else’s situation, being judgmental and sanctimonious is uncalled for – and very unattractive.

There are plenty of crazy cat ladies in the world. But there are also plenty of compassionate people who get stuck with too many cats because of the total irresponsibility of others.

This is where you apologize to Susan (w/31 cats) for being nasty to her (and yes, you were), and go forward from here.

26. Tsigili says:
    up arrow

Ed – I never said I was going to vote for Obama. I just said it wasn’t appropriate to have a political rant on this board at this time.

27. wolfdog says:
    up arrow

I have a dog and a cat and I cook their meal everyday, fresh boil meats and chicken with mix vegetalbes. and thet drink natrual sping water. my cat now is turning 23 years old this week and my dog is a healthy 10 years old. my other small dogs lived to 21 and 20 and had fresh home cook meals made for them everyday. so what am saying that i treat my animals the same way i like to be treated etc. and i do not trust this can animal foods these day, my put too much fat and lard and preservetives in them that can shorten their life and make them obeast

28. wolfdog says:

29. Patricia Goodrich says:
    up arrow

I have always use “Purina” never had a problem recommended by most vets. I have used it for over 20 years on all my cats and dogs they lived for a very long time 15 to 20 years. no health problems either.

30. Sheri says:

Posted by Becky
    May 06, 2012 8:20 PM

Becky~I just read about the Wellness Large Breed Puppy – there is a link towards the bottom of the article. We feed both of our dogs Wellness, but thankfully they are both past puppy food stage. The potentially affected batch “good through” dates are on the Wellness voluntary recall statement. Additionally, per that statement, they are no longer purchasing any Diamond products, and almost all of the Wellness line is made in their own facility.

Oh, and Michelle…when is the last time you purchased high-quality pet food? I pay $60 + tax for every 30 lb. bag of food that I buy for my dogs, and I buy them two at a time. I do not believe that anyone who has just taken the time to read this article is still going to feed their pets food that has possibly been tainted, so your directive was rather unnecessary. That being said, throwing all this pet food away with no recompense after a company/brand you trust has erred is rather asinine. If you just spent $120+ on potentially harmful pet food wouldn’t you want your money back?

31. s. mathes says:
    up arrow

i don’t like someone saying i have to many cats. i probably wouldn’t have so many if it weren’t for people like you who just dump them or leave them behind when you move maybe i wouldn’ have so many to take care of. if you think i am going to let them starve you are the crazy one. someone has to be there for them and i always will be. so think before you pop off again. s. mathes

32. R.Rodriguez says:
    up arrow

Just went to the retailer where I purchase my dogfood, they refused to take the food back stating they are not getting reimbursed yet and have not been given any info yet on how to refund your bag of dog food.

Someone from Diamond Head Quarters please call these folks ASAP. Establishment name:

Animals & Things
    Woodbridge, NJ
    PH# 732-855-8515

33. Ann says:
    up arrow

R. Rodriguez: Why don’t you just call Diamond directly at their toll free number? It is listed on this page under important updates. The number is 866-918-8756 and you can use that number from 8 AM until 6 PM seven days a week. I would think one could ask for a rebate at this number and get all the information needed.

34. Cindy says:
    up arrow

Is there a safe way to get rid of it?

35. Heather says:
    up arrow

If you go to the Diamond website they have a recall information link. I read if you have the receipt and/or UPC code from the package they will send you a refund.

36. Laura says:
    up arrow

I see I am not the only one with this issue….We store our 30 lb bags of dog food in bins and don’t keep the packaging. I called Diamond’s 800 # and they can’t tell me if the recalled product was shipped to the store I bought it from and insisted I need to contact the store?!?! They can’t tell me where their product was distributed? WTF I called the store and they weren’t able to give me any substantial information. What do I do?

Of course I am not going to continue to feed my dogs the food. My main concern is not the money, however, I do think 50.00 is a lot of money. I am much more concerned about the health risks to myself (6 months pregnant), my family and my dogs. If anyone can get their hands on the distribution records, please let me know.

37. Laura says:

38. Fran Griffis says:
    up arrow

I have purchased the Diamond Small Breed Puppy food. I cant read the best before date on the sack. However I have a 2 in the 9th diget but do not have an x following.
    I purchased a sack 4 Health it also has a 2 in the 9th diget but no x following.
    I purchased a sack of Taste of the Wild and I have a 6 in the 9th diget so I assume it is ok.
    I have called the number but they are not taking calls. How can I find out about they x????

39. Tsigili says:
    up arrow

Okay, I don’t know if you’ll want to do this, but this is a last resort that has been very, very effective in my work as an independent advocate for the elderly:

1. First call to notify the company of the problem. No matter how upset you are, it’s vital to stay calm and polite. Take notes – lots of notes. If the person is talking too fast, ask her to slow down while you write. If she knows you’re taking notes, she will be more responsive.

2. Ask who you’re speaking with – get the person to spell her name, even if it’s Mary. Ask for her last name & get the spelling. Ask for her agent ID#. [If, God forbid, you get an agent with a murky accent that you can’t understand, tell her that she has a lovely voice and accent, but you can’t understand her, so you’ll need to be transferred to a native English speaker.]

3. If the company (via its agent) is unresponsive or attempts to pass responsibility off to another party, ask for a supervisor. [If the agent is really rude, ask for HER supervisor.] If she says there’s no supervisor there, ask for the supervisor’s boss. If she says there’s no boss present, try not to laugh.

4. Most calls are recorded, so repeat back what the agent has told you: “I have asked to speak to a supervisor, and you have told me that there is no management whatsoever onsite, correct?”
    If the agent hesitates, ask her again.

If the company attempts to ignore you or dismiss your legitimate claim, don’t threaten to sue – that doesn’t bother them.

Guess what they absolutely do not want – BAD PUBLICITY. They do NOT want you to go to the media and get someone to do an unflattering story about what a heartless bunch of jerks they are, what crappy pet food they make, and how greedy the company is as a whole – why, they only did a half-baked recall, and now they’re trying to wriggle out of dealing fairly with the pet owners that they suckered into buying the tainted food!

One bit of bad press can knock a company’s stock down by several points. Its board of directors will be very unhappy. When you have a legitimate complaint that has been unfairly ignored, using media as leverage is stunningly effective, and very inexpensive.

Besides, you can always sue them later, right?
    That’s why God invented class action lawsuits.

40. tamena says:
    up arrow

4Health was recalled too and we’re being told no animals are affected – we also happen to have a sick 2.9yr old Doberman Pinsher here at home who is under a vet’s care right now. I am awaiting a call back from Diamond Petfood’s vet tomorrow.

We’re at over $200 in vet bills already and I’m sure that will be climbing. There’s kidney and liver issues already. I just hope my dog is OK =(

41. pat fouts says:
    up arrow

My 12 yr. old rat terrier was very sick last week, a friend called me and told me about the contaminated pet food Taste of the Wild. My bag was one effected. Still waiting for a call back !!! They offered a coupon for another bag. ( I don’t think so) I also have a large vet. bill and do not want any more Diamond pet food.

42. pat fouts says:

43. Betsy says:
    up arrow

4 year old sheltie has been sick for a month. was eating Chicken soup for the soul with recall number. she has been vomiting and has bloody stool. into vet bill over $2000 dollars. hope this ends the mystery. thank goodness she has been put on a persription diet. and is feeling better.

44. DENISE says:
    up arrow

@Betsy! sorry to hear about your sheltie. Have you tried going after the company of Chicken soup for reimbursement? They are responsible for their product. Why don’t we all get together and go after those big companies that make dog/cat food who are poisoning our animals because of their sub-standard production/product/irresponsible company. They should pay for the vet bills that we incur (or death of our companion) because of their lack of high standard production. Why are we always the ones that pay for their errors. Yes, ok, they will reimburse us or give us another bag… that is not enough for the people that their animals have been sick because of them. They are getting away with their responsibility of making safe/good cat/dog food that is not contaminated. They make billions every year, yet they can’t reimburse the victims for their errors

45. Rod says:
    up arrow

Is there a class action lawsuit for damages caused to our pets, My pet got sick on thier food & my Vet bill came out to over 600 dollars.

Can this be re-couped from Diamond?

Attorney’s pls contact me via email if the case.

Thank you.

46. tamena says:
    up arrow

I posted earlier and am updating now – my dog that was sick on May 1st with a UTI has now died.
    He passed away this afternoon.
    He has been seen by a vet and was at the vet’s office this morning, was scheduled for a US tomorrow which he’ll never have. My daughter found him, she was home alone, I was at work…and he’s gone. A healthy, happy beloved 3yr old doberman gone

my family is devastated, my daughter is convinced it’s her fault and there’s a huge whole in our hearts.
    I need information please. Necropsy is being done and samples taken, a complaint has already been filed with the FDA in my name.
    Help?

47. zozie says:
    up arrow

I find the image of the code to be intentionally deceptive. At first I thought our bag was not tainted, but after the dog became ill, and refused to eat the food, I checked it again and discovered that it was bad food. The image does NOT properly reflect how the code is actually deciphered. The number and the X are not at all next to each other as portrayed in the image.
    CAREFULLY read the actual digit position.

48. Laura says:
    up arrow

Is thete anything that we can have lawsuit against these companies which they allow for us to purchase? They have killed so many pets, and pile Vet bills. We need to sue these companies!!!

49. Laura says:
    up arrow

Is there anything that we can have lawsuit against these companies which they allow for us to purchase? They have killed so many pets, and pile Vet bills. We need to sue these companies!!!